How Do You Spell "Thug?"

How Do You Spell "Thug?"

Thursday, September 2, 2010

On Dining Out

As we prepared for the last 3-day weekend of summer and the return to "normal," my wife, son and I went out to dinner Thursday night instead of our usual Friday night out.  We habitually seek out new restaurants, some good; some, well, let's just say less than impressive.

Macadam's Bar and Grill , cleverly named, I'm certain, due to being located on S.W. Macadam Avenue, unfortunately falls into that latter category.  We arrived at 7pm, and were seated quickly as the place was less than half occupied.  Even though the evening was quite balmy, we opted to eat indoors due to the noisome traffic sounds on Macadam Avenue and the noxious gases emanating from the cigarette smokers.  Our waiter arrived at 7:10 or so:  I suppose it was shift change.  At any rate, I ordered my usual Arnold Palmer, my spouse her usual, and our son, a diet coke.  The soft drinks arrived by 7:15, but my wife's bar order took an extra 5 or six minutes, I do not know why.  Waiting for the vodka to age, perhaps.
By 7:40, I was getting a bit testy, peckish really, and had lost all semblance of interest in both the boisterous conversation which one patron insisted upon broadcasting to the entire establishment, and in the charming decor:  LCD-TV's every square foot or so along all the walls, providing more ESPN than one should consume in an entire month.  At last, our rather uncomplicated sandwich orders arrived (please, how tough can it be?) sans the customary condiments, which I obtained from the bartender (together with a straw to replace the one removed but not replaced by our waiter when he brought the refill to my A-P).
The lettuce wedge salad was crisp, and, I suspect but cannot prove, washed,  but the bleu cheese dressing was mystifying: bland, almost straight yet watery mayonnaise.  Even the cheese itself was noticeably insipid and remarkably flavorless, which I  heretofore had never even imagined as achievable.  My sandwich was passable.  Period.  Turkey, bread, and what I assume was intended to be an au jus.  I saved 46 cents by not writing home about it.
My wife had ordered the Bacon-Turkey-Avocado which was scrumptiously described in the menu, yet frumpishly served, minus the bacon.  A slight oversight, to be sure, but a fundamental one nevertheless, n'est pas?  The waiter graciously comp'ed her sandwich after grovelling at the chef's feet for an actual slice of bacon.  "More?  You want MORE?" seemed to resound from the galley, but it could merely have been the chef giving the waiter the dickens... 
At least the check arrived with all dispatch, matching our exit.

All said, we shan't return to Macadam's Bar and Grill unless I can lock down that sno-cone franchise in Gehennah :  the overall experience was quite disappointing, the prices somewhat unjustified, the service tepid at best, and the food was tedious, unstimulating, and altogether avoidable.  Save yourselves the trip:  try a Subway instead.

And enjoy your weekend!  Congress won't be back in session until the 13th, so we all can afford gas and groceries.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Keep it coherent and Clean: my Mom reads this blog.

Blog Archive

Followers